Friday, March 30, 2007

A little excitment

So normally I don't update this page until I wake up in the morning, but we finally had some excitement around here. We were on our way to the Kazakhstan embassy to pick up our passport when a car came tearing by us at high speed and then swerved out in to the other lane and almost hit a bus. The car came back in next to us and then a bunch of civilian cars came around us and boxed the car in. We kept on going but a bunch of men go out and took the guy out of his car. Funny thing is, we don't know if they were even police officers. They sure did not look like the police. Our driver and Sergei said nothing. On our return, some of the cars where there along with uniformed police. It really was not all that exciting, but compared to the last few days, it was something.

Jack has been out of sorts for most of the day today. I am not sure what is going on, but I think it might be the teething. Carolyn gave me some baby teething medicine but I don't know if it is working or not. Jack is almost ready to go to sleep and he is quiet unless I look over at him, then he starts to cry again. I don't know if that is a good sign or a bad one. It has been a long day and I am ready to go to sleep and start over again tomorrow.

You may have noticed the change of appearance for the website, I decided that black was getting old so I changed it. That's what happens when one is bored.

I have been enjoying calling my family while I have been here. I decided to use Skype to keep in touch this trip and it has worked out very well. I started with $10 credit and I have talked for almost two hours and still have well over $6 credit left. In case your wondering, Skype is a service that allows you to use your computer to make phone calls. You need a microphone, speakers and a high speed Internet connection and you can create an account. It works very well (mostly) and I think it was $10 well spent.

It finally occurred to me that I have a bit selfish in my writings here. Everyone has been commenting on how difficult it must be over here for me, but I was thinking about how Kate must feel sitting at home (ok, she is really working) and having to patiently wait for our return. I don't imagine it is easy to read the stories about Jack, to see his pictures and not miss him terribly. I wish we could all be together right now, but it will come soon enough. Before long I am sure we will both have times we wish we were somewhere else.

Sergei has been spending his days in constant motion and some of the battle scars are starting to show. He has failed to negotiate the turn going in to the bedroom several times at high speed and has bumps on his both sides of his head that look like a set of antlers are getting ready to pop out. Unfortunately he won't let that stop him, and is determined to set some sort of land speed record. The kid is tough as nails and has not let mere bumps and bruises slow him down one bit. Rita is much more covert about things as tonight John located one of her little candy stashes of chocolate she has been taking from the fridge. She is pretty darn smart and John and Debbie are going to have fun trying to keep ahead of her.

Well I am tired and ready to go to bed. My Friday is over while yours is just beginning. Have fun!

Scott

No comments: