Sunday, June 26, 2016

Metro

So I did promise to talk about the Metro here in Paris.  It is our magic carpet for getting around the city and I don't know how we would do without it.  On our first day here, we purchased a five day pass so we could ride as often as we wished, and it turned out to be a great decision.  While our first venture in to the bowels of the Metro was less than successful, we very quickly learned its ways and are now able to travel easily from station to station.  I am honestly confused about any advice that tells you that you don't need a Metro pass if you are going to be spending any time within Paris.  In my opinion, it is essential!  We descend in to the bowels of the underground Metro system and very quickly emerge at our destination.  There are maps that make it easy to figure out your route and I carry one in my pocket all the time.  The trains are usually crowded as they are very popular, but people will make enough room for you to stand or sit.  I love riding the Metro as it I find it very nostalgic, not to mention super convenient.

One of the many things I really enjoy about traveling abroad is how different things are from what we are used to in the states.  The light switches, toilets and bathroom fixtures all seem to have a unique flavor to them which always take a few extra minutes to navigate.  The things we do everyday without thinking, demand your attention here.  Crossing the street, making a call, or finding a store that sells something you need can be tough.  Everything seems strange and confusing at first and I like having to figure it all out.  Vive la Difference!

The language difference in Paris has not really been much of a factor as we have had almost zero issues with communicating.  Most people here speak at least a little English, and Kate has been pretty good at filling in with her rusty French when we get stuck.  My understanding of French has improved quite a bit (from pretty much zero knowledge) and I am able to understand many of the common words such as sortie (exit), bonjour, merci and figure out quite a few others.

More later - Scott

No comments: